It’s no secret that carrying a few extra pounds can have serious negative consequences for your health. For your spine in particular, it doesn’t take long for chronic issues to manifest. Degenerative disc disease (DDD) in particular, which can affect anyone as they age, is especially common in people who are overweight or obese, even by as little as 10 pounds.
At Posture Works, we encourage our Denver, CO and San Francisco, CA patients to live their healthiest life, which includes supporting them through weight loss plans and chiropractic adjustments. We’ve seen the damage a few extra pounds can do, as well as the relief that comes with losing them!
Weight’s impact on the spine
The human spine is designed to distribute weight. When people are overweight, extra pressure is put on the spine, which can cause discs to rub against each other, resulting in premature degeneration.
If you’re overweight, you may be at an elevated risk of developing DDD. DDD is a painful, debilitating condition that can cause loss of range of motion and a host of other healthcare concerns over time, meaning it’s exceptionally important to treat it proactively, before it becomes a substantial issue.
While people who are overweight are more likely to develop DDD, the ailment can strike anyone. Obesity by itself also leads to a host of other health concerns, including heart problems, poor circulation and more.
Treating DDD effectively
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with DDD, or if you face an elevated risk of developing the condition, there are several treatments to consider. These have the potential to reduce strain on your spine and help you live an active, fulfilling life:
- Physical therapy: Low-impact exercise and physical therapy are great ways to not only slow the progress of DDD, but also to lose weight and stave off further complications of obesity. Your chiropractor can help you identify a course of exercise and therapy that will help you maintain your peak physical condition.
- Chiropractic care: Manual manipulation of the spine by a chiropractor is essential to treating DDD and slowing its progress. In fact, chiropractic care is one of the best ways to treat a range of healthcare conditions, particularly those that are complications of obesity.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture may reduce the symptoms of DDD. Acupuncture can also be effective at promoting weight loss. Dry needling, a procedure that’s similar in nature to acupuncture, may also help alleviate muscle tension, stress and pain caused by both DDD and obesity.
- Weight loss: One of the most significant steps you can take toward treating DDD and slowing its progression is weight loss. Working with a holistic healthcare professional is the best way to outline a weight loss plan that works for you and meets your needs.
- Medication: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), as well as other types of medication, are valuable tools that you can use to treat the side-effects of DDD. It’s important to realize, however, that these medications don’t actually treat DDD itself. They merely alleviate the symptoms.
At Posture Works, we’re no strangers to degenerative disc disease or the other spinal ailments that come from carrying a few extra pounds. Whenever they begin to experience pain, we encourage our Denver, CO and San Francisco, CA patients to visit us for a free, non-judgmental consultation.
We care about your wellness and are focused on helping you get better! It’s why we use Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) to assess your condition and individualize a treatment plan. To learn more about our unique approach to spinal healthcare, schedule an appointment today!
Chiropractic BioPhysics, or CBP, is one of the most scientific, researched, and results-oriented corrective care techniques. CBP-trained chiropractors aim to realign the spine back to health, eliminating nerve interference and addressing the source of pain, fatigue, and disease. As with all chiropractic care, CBP is gentle, painless, and non-invasive.